Saturday, November 14, 2009
St. Catherine’s Church opened at its first location (Dewdney Trunk Road near Burleigh) on November 28, 1909. John Smith, who would become Port Coquitlam’s first City Clerk, was one of the founders of the church. He kept a diary, which recorded the planning and construction of the first church building:
January 11 . In evening Church meeting re forming a Parish here.
July 12. Slashing church lot. Mr Govier here to dinner.
August 21. Working in garden in A.M. In aft: burned the church lot.
September 10. In aft: hauled lumber for the Church of England.
September 11. Finished hauling lumber for church.
October 4. Church meeting, re building fund, held here in evening.
October 7. Working on church all day.
October 26. Hauled sand, etc to church.
October 27. Hauled windows, etc. to church.
November 27. Very wet all day. Took chairs, etc. to church.
November 28. (Sunday). Very wet all day. River very high. All trains stopped from wash outs & the roads all round junction flooded. Mrs Pentreath & Miss Roberts here to sing at church opening. Bishop could not come, too wet.
The Coquitlam Star (May 8, 1912), which erroneously gives an opening date of 1910, provides a slightly more detailed description of the church’s first service:
“The service of dedication will long be remembered. Floods held up the train, the Bishop only arriving in time to return on the next and only train. Archdeacon Pentreath managed to get in, but too late for the service, which Mr. Govier conducted. None the less, the congregation rejoiced to have the church finished.”
Extracts from John Smith's diary are from "Very Fine" The Diaries of John Smith, transcribed by Philip A. Jones (October 2006) and from the original hand-written Diary 7 (May 1, 1907—April 10, 1910) from the Special Collections Division of the University of British Columbia Library.
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Sunday, October 4, 2009
As a chamber musician, Kevin collaborates with string and wind players, singers and large ensembles. In May 2006, he performed and toured with the National Youth Choir of Canada.
Kevin has received substantial recognition in several piano competitions. He received third prize at the 2002 Pacific Piano Competition, which featured 40 pianists from around the world. He has been a provincial finalist at the Canadian Music Competition on many occasions.
Saturday, October 3, 2009
Sunday, September 20, 2009
To learn more about the Messy Church concept visit http://www.messychurch.org.uk/.
Members of the St. Catherine's Anglican Church Women (ACW) will dress in period costume when they celebrate their 100th anniversary with an old-fashioned country fair on October 3. The event will take place at 2211 Prairie Avenue (Trinity United Church building) from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM. The fair will feature items that the ACW’s founding members would have used to raise money for the church in the early 1900’s. There will be kids’ games with prizes galore, cotton candy, “bag” lunches, cake walks, and food sales (baked goods, canned fruits, pickles, jellies, jams and fudge).
The ACW was organized as the Women’s Auxiliary in February 1909, when local citizens were preparing to construct the first Anglican Church in Westminster Junction (later to become Port Coquitlam). Within three years, through concerts and sales of needlework, the women had raised enough money to pay back a $500 loan for the church’s construction and purchase an organ. Over the years the ACW have contributed linens, vestments, prayer books and furnishings for the church and parish hall. In the 1970’s their fund-raising helped to repay the debt for constructing a new church building on McAllister Avenue. They also do catering for weddings, anniversaries and funerals and provide supplies for churches in remote areas of northern BC and Yukon.